Saturday, March 16, 2013

What Do You REALLY Need?


My needs change daily. Friends tell me I need to go on a cruise. Compelling online messages inform me I need the newest spring fashions, Botox, a steak dinner, a massage, and better toys and apparel for my pet!  Last week, peering out my window, I complained, “I need sunshine!”

Sound superfluous? How about these needs expressed by women friends? “I need the man of my dreams, a baby, more intimacy with my husband, friendship, healing, a successful ministry, more money.” Needs are as numerous and diverse as people in the world.

What do you really need?
                                                                                                                                                         
Many years ago, I discovered a shocking truth in God’s Word: “I lack nothing!” (Psalm 23:1) Because God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-caring; He is enough. He is sufficient. With Him I need nothing else! (Psalm 73:25-26)  So, why do I sometimes become burdened, sometimes driven, by an “I need” mentality?


 Understanding what or who is driving that mindset offers insight.  I realize it’s often fueled by legitimate, unmet emotional and physical needs, and/or others’ opinions. Then, the enemy named “deceiver”, chimes in, and sheds a bad light on God with lies that deliver a punch. “God is a begrudging giver who only provides what He must!” Therefore, “You are lacking and deprived of the good things in life.”
 
When God’s sheep hear a stranger’s voice, they run away for good reason. (John 10: 5) If I listen to any voice other than the voice of Truth, I’m usually led to believe that overbuying, overeating, manipulating or controlling will bring me satisfaction. The wise prophet Jeremiah cautions, “Mere mortals can’t run their own lives…men and women don’t have what it takes to take charge of life.” (10:23) In other words, we make foolish choices for lack of wisdom, knowledge and understanding that belong to God.

Even King David, esteemed as a man after God’s own heart, stumbled. By taking matters into his own hands, he committed adultery with Bathsheba. Despite his emotional and mental anguish, God’s infinite grace enabled David to confess his sinful ways and intimacy with God was restored.

The good Shepherd can always be trusted to know and understand our needs. Even the intangible ones, like: loneliness, boredom, unfulfilled expectations, fear and worry. He knows all things! (Acts 1:24; 1 John 3:20)

What do I really need? The answer is simple, yet profound. “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need” (Hebrews 4:16).

I really need God’s grace. It’s an amazing, free, supernatural gift of immediate and sympathetic help which I don’t deserve! But, it’s accessible because I belong to the good Shepherd! When I need guidance; He counsels me. When I must wait on His timing; He comforts me. I frequently ask for God’s grace to enable me to trust His thoughts and ways are better than mine. God’s grace exceeds my needs!

 I’m so thankful God delights in giving His children favor.  All I really need is Jesus…the Giver of grace and mercy.




No comments:

Post a Comment