Saturday, November 16, 2013

Remember God's Goodness this Thanksgiving

I’m searching for the perfect ‘thanksgiving keepsake.’ On it, each family member will record “what I’m most thankful for this year!” Last year, all fourteen of us, (adult kids, their spouses, grand-kids and John and me), inscribed our thanks upon an oval shaped 24” x 20” thick, flat, grayish, rock. Each of us scanned our bank of good memories to choose “one thing” to write on it which we were most thankful for!  

This keepsake currently sits in a prominent place in our sun porch. It’s a perpetual reminder of God’s goodness. Every time I glance at it, thankfulness feeds my soul.

 “I am thankful for God calling me out of darkness into His wonderful light, and for blessing me with an amazing husband and 3 perfect girls.” Noelle (my daughter-in-law)

 “I’m thankful for Ally’s pre-marathon injury because God used it to allow us to grow together in Him, and to be the husband I’m called to be.” Jason (my son-in-law)

 “I’m thankful for Jesus and my mom and dad.” Lana (my 5-year-old grand-daughter)

I’m intentional about cultivating thankfulness. Our world is practically buried in troubles and sorrows. It appears all dark around us with no sunshine. Gloom and sadness keep people’s hearts locked, starving for comfort, love and approval. There’s this popular idea that if we buy more stuff, it will brighten the darkness, satisfy our hungry soul. Have you noticed? It only invites more complaining.

Remember the Israelites? God’s powerful show of parting the Red Sea brought God’s children into freedom from slavery, beatings, tyranny. Praise filled their mouths, forgetfulness overshadowed them. Praise faded and complaining soured their souls. 

 Three days into their journey toward the Promised Land, without finding water, they complained. “What are we to drink?” After God provided water, they grumbled again. “If only we had died in Egypt. We sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but in this desert we are starving!” Imagine their screechy whining, like our kids, “There’s n o t h i n g to eat!” God got angry at their complaining, but like a good Father, He fed them. He rained down manna, day after day after day. One began to complain, “I’m sick of this manna.” And soon the complaining spread, “Come to think of it, I’m sick of it too.”

This Thanksgiving, let’s purposefully recall what we are thankful for. Look around. Blessings abound: the smiles of children, a glorious sunset, twinkling stars in the darkness, the comfort of a warm bed at night. Small and great, plenty of reasons overflow to say to God, "Thank you.”  

Last week, at Hobby Lobby, I spotted a large metal “E”. Perhaps it will don the Enderby clan’s written thankful thoughts for 2013. I've already decided what to write. “I’m thankful for God’s Word and His unfailing friendship.” This past year especially, God’s messages have spoken tenderly and have reached deep into the caverns of my soul.  He’s always been there to lift me up; He's so loyal and dependable.

Allow thankfulness to consume you this year. Let God’s sunshine in. If you’re at work or at a thanksgiving gathering, share thankful thoughts. Be generous in giving thanks, and then watch and listen as the spirit of thanksgiving spreads joy!


 “One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts.” (Psalm 145:4 NKJV)

1 comment:

  1. This is so true. We should constantly give thanks to God for all of His goodness He has bestowed upon us. To many people today grumble and forget the goodness of God. We must remember everything God has done with praise and thanksgiving adoration and love. He has never let me down yet. He has been so gracious and faithful to me I cannot thank Him enough. I know the goodness of God and I never fail to tell others what He has done for me. I cannot live my life on this earth without Him nor do I wish to. I am so grateful He came and rescued me from the life I was living before I knew His name. God bless you Pam may God continue to bless your writings to reach out to the heart and core of His people.

    ReplyDelete