Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Best Dad Ever!


Father’s day evokes a variety of memories and emotions. Some of us have been wounded by a father due to a distant, absent, harsh, or abusive relationship. Others are blessed and deeply grateful to have had a loving, faithful, involved dad.

God is unlike any Father we have ever known! The apostle Paul boasts about the “Father of Compassion” (1 Corinthians 1:3) Webster defines compassion: “sympathetic consciousness of others’ distress together with a desire to alleviate it.” Paul knew more about distress than probably anyone of us! (2 Corinthians 6:5)

The following true story by Mel, a missionary in Guatemala, resonates with compassion. She reminds us how our heavenly Father treats us. Without limitations, His compassions are new every morning! (Lamentations 3:23-24)
I met up with Jesika in the park.
"It's my birthday on Thursday," she exclaimed with a big smile.
"Then you should come to my house to celebrate," I responded.
She informed me that she likes chocolate cake and will come by at
4:00pm. It’s a date.

As I prepared for this special celebration, I knew it needed to be about
more than just a piece of cake with a celebratory candle. Jesika is turning 18 years old, each year marked hard and deep with difficult memories, painful rejection and abandonment. Psalm 139 came to mind. I read and re-read it, asking the Lord to guide my thoughts and heart. Jesika needs your touch Lord, I whispered.

Psalm 139:13-15 (The Message) stood out to me:
 "Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
You formed me in my mother's womb.
I thank you, High God - you're breathtaking!
 Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
 I worship in adoration-what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
 You know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit;
 How I was sculpted from nothing into something."

It's 4:00, will she come? The cake, candles and flowers were on the table; ready for our honored guest. And then the knock on the door...sweet music to my ears as often times this honored guest is a no-show. We sang Happy Birthday at the top of our lungs, took some pics, and then I read Psalm 139:13-15 over Jesika.  "You are a marvelous creation Jesika."

I repeated these words over Jesika several times. I encouraged her to engrave them in her memory and heart for those moments, those all too often moments, when everyone and everything around her screams the opposite.

Choose to believe and stand on God's truth Jesika...you are a marvelous creation!

Several days passed and Jesika showed up at my door again, only this time she was drunk and high. The scolding words on the tip of my tongue and burning desire to slam the door shut were overwhelmed with a gentle voice that whispered in my ear, "Jesika, you are a marvelous creation". I did a mental double-take, while God performed a divine attitude adjustment.

God said, "Mel, Jesika is a marvelous creation when she is clean and in her right mind but she is also my marvelous, beloved creation right now....don't slam the door".

I invited Jesika in, listened to her, loved her and offered a cup of coffee.
This is sacred space.

Fast forward to Friday, the day we serve pancakes in the park. Jesika comes running up to us, higher (literally) than a kite. She excitedly tells each person that walks by about her birthday cake. A special memory etched in her mind and heart.

Choose to believe God's truth Jesika, you are a marvelous creation!
And help me believe it too!

The Father heart of God---full of compassion! He far surpasses the wisest, kindest earthly father. He’s immeasurably more wonderful, pure, and loving than even the best dad!



2 comments:

  1. A lovely story to share. It takes time to minister to broken people. In fact we are all broken - some allow us to see it more clearly than others, that's all. With some the cracks and vulnerability show. Perhaps in the humility of those God can get in and go much deeper - eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree we are all broken. Honesty and vulnerability surely offer the Holy Spirit access to our hurting heart. His truths and loving touch never fail to heal.

      Delete