Saturday, September 13, 2014

Even Short, Spontaneous Prayers are Powerful!

In The Washington Post, an article told about a 15-year-old girl who sent and received 6,473  text messages in a month. Remarking about her constant communication with friends, she said, “I’d die without it.” The average teen sends 3,339 texts per month.
Digital conversation illustrates what prayer could and should be. Paul says, “[We] do not cease to pray for you” (Colossians 1:9) and “Pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Constantly praying had sounded impossible for me, but then I learned about missionary Frank Lauback’s prayer strategy. He used to “shoot” prayers all day long. He was “texting” God, in a sense, staying in constant communication with Him.
My neighbor, Judy, works to maintain her nursing career in addition to caring for her husband with Alzheimer’s disease. Judy shares that Mike’s needs for her help are increasing daily. She says, “The days I feel overwhelmed and all alone, I keep calling out, ‘Jesus, help!’ And His presence calms me.”

Even sincere "text" prayers invite the Lord's strength and assurance into our situation. (Isaiah 41:10) Spontaneous prayers can be sweet and smell like incense too! (Psalm 141:2)

My view of prayer is changing. Effective praying doesn't always have to include long prayers. Short, heartfelt prayers, like musical staccato notes, also touch our heavenly Father’s heart. They make it possible to pray without ceasing!

"This is what I want you to do: Ask the Father for whatever is in keeping with the things I've revealed to you. Ask in my name, according to my will, and he'll most certainly give it to you. Your joy will be a river overflowing its banks!" (John 16:24 The Message)




2 comments:

  1. Yes it is good to do this!!! God bless you! patsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! You know, I probably text just as much as this! What a good reminder that we should be in this much communication with our Father even more so. My friend described it once as a "walkie talkie". And they have those as an app on our phone now too! Always at hand, two-way conversation. God wants us to know Him, just as much as He already knows us (Psalm 139). Thanks so much for this incredible insight and encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete