Saturday, February 23, 2013

Do You Have Significance?

For me, it’s difficult to give a simple answer.  Considering the world’s way of measuring significance, I’d say, “definitely not” because I possess a puny amount of prestige, power and money. Using my spiritual eyes, however, I see the truth … I’m highly valued, accepted, even esteemed by God, and I possess His divine power. Accordingly, I’d say, “Absolutely! I’m significant.”

 In my teens and twenties, I was confused and searching. I allowed my peers, advertising, and negative self-talk to define my importance. They all communicated the same message. If I don’t meet their standards, I don’t have significance.  

In my thirties and forties, I figured out the world’s way of measuring my significance was wrong and deceptive.  

Now, in my fifties, I see my true worth through God’s eyes. I’m discovering God’s extravagant love for me defines my significance, not my performance or the opinions of others.

To be honest, though, I still sometimes get confused.    
                                  
 I recall one particular time. I was sulking, feeling of little importance to anyone or anything. My expectations were unsatisfied. So, I began to look to others to make me feel significant.

I withdrew from God. I was upset with Him because He wasn’t answering my prayers how I thought He should.  Thankfully, He never treats me with contempt.

After a couple days of stewing, I was driving home from work, when I glimpsed the license plate of the sports car I was passing. I read Pam 4511. Yes, it was my name … on a license plate, at that moment, driving on I-35!  Undoubtedly, God had a message for me.



When I arrived home, I raced to my Bible. Since I regularly read Psalms, I was inspired to read Psalm 45:11. “Your King is enthralled by your beauty ….”  Psalm 45 prophetically describes the relationship of Christ and His bride. Christ, the King, speaks poetically to His bride, words of affirmation, love and ownership.

His words, to me, sounded like a poetic phrase out of a Hallmark card. I responded to my King.
Why do You still love me and accept me when I’m resisting? I failed You.

His answer resounded in my heart, “I’m enthralled by your beauty – that truth never changes, even when you act unbecomingly.” 

My heart was both stunned and ravished at the same time.

 I’m realizing more and more that I have significance because of God’s unconditional love for me. It never quits, (Romans 8:35-39). He promises to never overlook me, (Psalm 139) leave me or forsake me, (Hebrews 13:5).  I understand that God views no one more important than another, (1 Corinthians 1:26-31).  These truths banish my doubts, confusion and insecurities.

My significance is defined not by my actions, or others’ opinions of me, but by my Savior’s. Jesus laid down His life for us with His precious blood. For me, that proves I have significance.

(If you desire freedom to enjoy God’s love while no longer basing your significance on your accomplishments or the opinions of others, read The Search for Significance by Robert McGee. Billy Graham said it’s a book that "should be read by every Christian.")

No comments:

Post a Comment